By: Bryan St. Andrews, CSCS
Are you ready to take your athletic prowess to the next level? Alex Viada’s Hybrid Training principles, as outlined in his book “Hybrid Athlete,” provide a unique opportunity to excel in both powerlifting and triathlon. In this blog post, we present a one-week sample training template that combines the best of both worlds. Let’s dive in!
Monday: Upper Strength and Swim Integration
All days can be 1 session or two:
- Powerlifting Focus: Bench Press (5 sets of 5 reps at 80% of your 1-rep max) and accessory work
- Triathlon Focus: 30-60 minute of swim intervals at a moderate pace
Tuesday: Bike Speed and Lower Strength
- Powerlifting Focus: Squat (5 sets of 5 reps at 80% of your 1-rep max) and lower accessory
- Triathlon Focus: 45-minute bike ride with hill climbs for strength building
Wednesday: Running Speed
- Triathlon Focus: 30-60 minute interval run session, working on speed and form
Thursday: Technique & Active Recovery
- Long swim, focusing on technique and endurance
Friday: Building Strength and Run
- Powerlifting Focus: Deadlift & Overhead Press with plyometrics
- Triathlon Focus: 30-60 minute tempo run or bike depending on needs
Saturday: Long-Distance Challenge
- Triathlon Focus: Long bike ride or run or both (2-3 hours), building endurance for the triathlon segment.
Sunday: Active Recovery
- Rest or gentle activities like hiking, recovery run or light swimming.
- Ensure you warm up adequately before each session and cool down afterward.
- Listen to your body; if you feel fatigued or experience pain, consider adjusting the intensity or opting for extra recovery.
- Proper nutrition and hydration are essential for fueling your body during this demanding training regimen.
- Consult with a coach or trainer experienced in Hybrid Training to tailor this plan to your individual fitness level and goals.
This one-week sample template combines powerlifting and triathlon training using Hybrid Training principles. Remember that individualization, consistency and gradual progression are key to success. As you progress, you can adjust the training volume and intensity to match your evolving fitness level and goals. Hybrid Training is a dynamic approach that can unlock your potential as a well-rounded athlete—keep pushing your limits and achieving new heights!
Feeling ready to elevate your athletic performance through the revolutionary Hybrid Training principles? Contact State College Strength and Conditioning, your certified trainers through Complete Human Performance and USA Triathlon, today! Let’s chart your journey towards becoming a true Hybrid Athlete, achieving extraordinary fitness heights in both powerlifting and triathlon.